Saturday 24 October 2015

Always listen to your Mum

Its been over a month since I last posted.... I actually feel like I'm in a confessional.

My lack of posting hasn't been for not wanting to, in fact I have drafted several posts, all of which have never made it as far as me pushing the "publish" button for one reason or another.

A lot has happened since my last post, there have been a family holiday; profound moments such as riding alone in a forest during a storm; my first MRI since finishing treatment; my birthday... and the list can go on.
Whilst I could start writing about any of the things I have mentioned, todays post is about this blog, and how it began.

When I was first diagnosed one of the hardest things I had to do was tell my Mum; coming from a family which consisted  of just her and me, this was a biggie, I wasn't the youngest child or the oldest child in the family, I was the only.
Somehow during either my first phone call to her (yes I had to tell her over the phone, we live in different parts of the country) or the second... she said she thought I should get a diary and write. I cant recall her exact words (I don't actually remember a lot of details relating to any conversations around that time!), but she was adamant that one day I might want to go back to my diary and either write a book, or use the content to help others.
Well, I have to confess, I did buy a book.... I never really wrote in it. I decided that I would start this blog. Initially it was a way for me to get what was in my head out so that I wasn't brewing stuff I shouldn't have been, plus it was a good way of keeping people updated with what was going on, I was a little over telling people every detail on a regular basis.

Fast-forward to this last week, I was telling my Mum that my blog has been featured on the Bowel Cancer NZ facebook page, and that I had gotten some really awesome feedback about my blog and a few emails from people either starting their cancer journey or currently going through it that had stated they found it helpful and insightful.... my mothers response to hearing this.... in a very proud voice "I can say it now, didn't think it would happen this early, but I told you so" .
Four words no one ever wants to hear from a parent (correction, anything relating to your parents sex life rates as a list topper!), "I told you so", and what's worse, she was right. As weird as I feel sometimes about people reading my blog, and these words right now, I am really glad that what I write might be useful to someone.

So on that note, thank you for reading and following... I have lots in my head still to come out, so keep reading, and watch this space... I'll even start posting more photos (just to keep things interesting!).


Until next time
Thank you

RAG x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment