Thursday 16 April 2015

PICC me!


Tomorrow I get a PICC line put in…… I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a tad nervous…… so I have to keep reminding myself that it’s a common procedure.

A PICC line (Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter) is a form of intravenous access that can be used for a prolonged period of time (basically that means that it gets inserted into my arm and can stay there for the rest of my treatment).


In layman’s terms: I’m getting a tube inserted into my arm (a big vein) so that they can give me my Chemo IV drugs directly through that (and into a larger volume of blood by the heart) rather than having to repeatedly put a cannula in a vein each time. It also means they can take blood from it so I don’t have to keep getting stabbed with needles and having reactions to the sticking tape they put over after the test (hmmm not sure what I was more upset about last time… the layer of skin that came off my arm onto the tape or the fact the layer of skin was very close to my tattoo …. Hey I don’t want my ink ruined by some stupid take… priorities  people!!)

The main reason why I’m getting one is that currently the drug that’s being given to me  via the IV is ‘burning’ my veins, which is causing unwanted (not that anyone actually wants pain) pain in my hand/ wrist and arm.  It is also hoped that by putting the drug through a bigger vein and into a larger volume of blood I may not get so many direct side effects.

So  guess I’ve filled you in with as much info as I know at this stage…. I’ll update this when I get the chance…. Hmmm since I will have a direct line in, I wonder if I can hook it up to a drink of choice… coffee/ coke/ icecream soda (my vice at the moment)/ chai tea via IV… hmmmm I’m going to have to work on this…..

Right.. until next time, I had better go... its date night tonight.... I had better go and  start making myself look respectable.... or I could just procrastinate in the sun with the cat for another hour or so...... mmmmmm choices...

Until next time,
Don't do anything I wouldn't do.... then again don't do anything I would....

RAG x x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment