Tuesday 20 January 2015

Cancer free

Well today is a big day...  firstly its the day before my reversal (see ya Judith!), I had a meeting with my oncologist (the one in charge of the Chemo side), and its the day that Radioactive girl gets de-masked... yep the time has come to go out of my comfort zone and put on my big girl panties.

So... Hello... my name is Kathy Sullivan (Kat for short)... I am RAG.


2013, pre diagnosis....

My reason for introducing myself is because it occurred to me that I know a lot of people find talking about "bum cancer" and other such related issues somewhat embarrassing and unpleasant... its not a cancer that gets a lot of publicity... I'm hoping by identifying myself I can help shed some of the 'secrecy' that surrounds this cancer. I don't want people to think that I'm hiding myself because I'm embarrassed. I'm not. As I identified in an earlier blog, my reason for staying quiet is more around my comfort level around how others will react and others views on treatment. I feel a lot stronger now and comfortable in my own skin.

Anyway todays post is able about updating you on my meeting with the oncologist today...
The good news is that at this point in time I am cancer free, the surgery resulted in a successful removal of the tumour and in the 18 nodes removed, not one of them had cancer cells in them.
Cancer free!

So what next... well, the next step in this journey  (after my reversal tomorrow) is to start another round of Chemotherapy treatment. This adjuvant round of chemo is used as a preventative measure "kill it with fire", with the aim of decreasing the chances of any "lurking" cells showing their face in the next few years.  I will start my chemo in 4 weeks!  
I know that another round of chemo is not everyone's idea of catching a break, but to be honest I'm rather glad they have prescribed this as part of my plan... its going to give me the best chances, and in the end that's what matters...  being and staying cancer free... has a ring to it doesn't it!!!

My other news for the day is that Judith now has a lifespan of less than 24 hours!!! due to a few complications that have developed over the last few weeks I'm really hanging out for her to get evicted... mind you I'm starting to get nervous... this time tomorrow night I'll be bag free!!!!  so many things that I have missed since getting my ileostomy... sleeping on my stomach, rolling overfreely, sleeping all night, farting (*snigger*... yes I'm hanging out for a good fart... its weird not being able to!), and being able to eat fruits and veggies without worrying about them causing a blockage! Oh the little things in life!

I'm not sure how much I'll be able to update my blog whilst in hospital... I'll try... so keep checking in....

so until next time....
take care,

RAG x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment