Thursday 28 August 2014

Dog training 101

A few weeks ago when I was out at my GP, I was talking to her about having started up my blog as a way of getting out what's in my head, she asked me if I had come across a blog called  "My experience of walking the dog"  by Harriet Rowland. I have to confess my initial thoughts were "great just what I need" and "do I really want to read something that's ended badly".

I think it must have been pretty apparent this was what I was thinking, as she very quickly reassured me that she thought I would actually enjoy reading it.

So that night with a bit of anxiety I started reading Harriet's first blog entry, quickly followed by her second and third.... it soon became very clear that (yet again) my GP was right (She's pretty on to it!).

So this post is about Harriet, and I hope I do her justice in my writing, not just in todays post but in continuing my blog.
For a young woman (one whom I have never met may I add), she has left a very large impression on me.

 
Exactly 3 years to the day Harriet wrote in her first blog post the following statement.....

            "My family likes to call having cancer like having a dog because as long as it stays in its yard its ok, when it starts digging up the bushes in the neighbors... not sooo much”

 Having read this, I found an automatic connection....  

I first read this before I started my treatment, at that stage the dog had the potential to start digging bigger holes, and chasing cars...... I'm currently hoping the last 10 days have taught the dog some lessons..... Sitting and staying are what I'm currently working on.   
Harriet' blog has changed things for me, and I have to confess I am in ore of her strength and insight. There is not much more to say really except that I really appreciate Harriet for teaching me about walking my own dog...                                                                                                  


Harriet would have turned 21 this week, on her Birthday her book was launched....  http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/CU1408/S00454/the-book-of-hat-goes-global.htm        
Harriet's blog is:


 http://myexperienceofwalkingthedog.blogspot.co.nz

                                           


RAG x






2 comments:

  1. Kathy, your writing draws you in- very much like Hat's. Such an interesting connection with you to her blog, similar journey and emotions. We are very proud of our girl and her writing, and to know that it is shared is very satisfying.

    All the best from Hat's family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John, that means a lot. I think you raised an amazing daughter (you already know this!), Hat made such an impression on me, and I thank her for helping me get through the start of my journey.

    ReplyDelete