Monday 27 October 2014

A touch of normal

It's been a busy but good week.... Tuesday was my Birthday, boy have I been spoilt... am I feeling the love by those around me (both near and far)? YES.  If I can name one positive thing that has come about since I discovered I have cancer, is that I have really discovered who my real friends and Whanau are. These are the people who make you laugh, hug you when you need, include you in their life events such as involving you in their sporting events as I'm pretty much relegated to the bench at the moment, take you out shopping, spend time facebooking me, and most of all... just treat me like I'm me.
My Birthday sadly did involve me having to work during the day, but I did get to eat my Fish and Chips and although I may have peaked to early on the food front, I did manage a few teaspoons of ice cream and chocolate sauce at the end (better than nothing eh!).
My amazing other half went all out, and to top my day he brought me a new camera so that I have a new hobby to do over Summer that's a little more slow paced that trying to ride my bike everyday. I have to confess... I must be getting old.... it took me forever to work out how to set the time and date on the thing!!! I am very thankful to my sister-in-law who sat down and explained some of the bells and whistles on it!

Fast forward a few days... this weekend has been a long holiday weekend, so we decided to drive up the Island to New Plymouth to visit family. Its been a great weekend... busy but really nice and relaxing (although I have to admit I'm pretty tired) , from watching Miss 7 play with her cousins (especially watching the bond between her and her 2 and half year old cousin....talk about two peas in a pod!!! hmmm this could be trouble in a few years!), to sitting down and spending time with Miss 7's Grandparents and  then spending the mornings and evenings with my Brother and Sister-in law its been a great weekend. So good that I even started to forget that in just over a week the next part of this journey begins.
This only really started to dawn on my during our rather slow drive back (Labour weekend traffic driving back to Wellington is horrible!).... tomorrow I meet with the stoma nurse to talk over what's going to happen and to find out the finer details of my Ileostomy... which I have a strong feeling will have a huge impact on my life for a while.... lets start writing my list of questions.....

I guess on a positive note, it does mean that I am one step closer to finally kicking this cancer in the butt once and for all.... I'm not really looking forward to tomorrow.... I know wisdom make you stronger, but it also gives me more "food for thought" to add to my ever increasing bank of stuff going through my head!

I guess I should start getting my big girl undies out... I think I'm going to be needing to put them on....

I'll report back tomorrow.....

Until then... I'm off to get some catch up sleep and to reflect on how cool this weekend has been.

take care
RAG x

No comments:

Post a Comment